Wednesday 28 April 2010

Loving the Skin I'm In

Hi Ladies, prepare yourselves for some shocking revelations below! As part of my development as a hijabi I feel led to embrace the natural me. Having spent several years of my life as a photographed, styled-up, hair dyed, fake-tanned, make-up shovelling fashionista this is going to be an interesting adjustment for me. For years I have wanted to look like an Arabian princess but I am coming to accept that this is not the way Allah created me! Which all sounds lovely: embracing the natural me, growing out my dyed tresses (fortunately under the protection of a headscarf in public!) and dealing with my ever irritable complexion.

Oh it really upsets me that my skin suffers the breakouts of a teenager! How can I not wear makeup? Well honestly I still am, but I am choosing carefully and rather than just covering the blemishes (which I have no problem with by the way, I am not saying we should all bare our blemishes to the world if we are uncomfortable doing that) I want to get to the root of the problem and not aggravate it by excessive makeup. This is going to be hard. Below you can see the awkward truth that my skin is not great. You cannot see the full glory in these pics! So I am trialing some products to see if they can help clear up the problem. These are the Day 1 pictures. For the regime I will be using:

Boots No7 Blemish Clear Beauty Serum
Boots No7 Balance Day Sorbet SPF15
Mineral Supplement
Vitamin C Supplemnt
2-3 times weekly facial scrub (Brand TBA)

Let's see what happens! Insha 'Allah great results will be achieved...









5 comments:

  1. More power to you sister. Enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you heard of Norwex?? They are microfibre cloths that clean your face AMAZINGLY well.

    Here in Canada, they are just $18 for a set of three (sounds expensive, but they have a 2 year guarantee)...I'm sure you could find them in the UK...as it's originally a company from Norway. If not, I could send you some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jennifer! And thank you Hethr, I will def check that out and let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very brave to post those pictures sister! I don't think I could do that. I have very fair colouring and sensitive skin that breaks out and becomes irritated at the drop of a hat. As a blonde I don't have very defined eyebrows or lashes either. Before converting and covering I used to distract from this by show-casing my hair and using make-up. Wearing hijab- that puts my face on show is difficult sometimes. Darker skinned or Arab sisters with more dramatic colouring and defined features get away with it easier, but I've learned to work with what I've got, mashallah. And you know what? Some of them are envious of our looks- tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes shufshuf68 thanks for your comment, its true we always want what we dont have! My skin has calmed down a bit since then as you can see from the later post (in the blue and gold look i have no makeup on) but a bit of colour does hide a multitude of faults!! Not sure whether its brave or silly, we shall see if i can leave that up there or not... ;)

    ReplyDelete

As salaam aleikum! Please leave a comment sisters! I am always happy to read your messages of appreciation and respectful thoughts.